BEAN & CHEESE TAMALES "JOI"
Bean & Cheese Tamales
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Yield : 24 tamales
8 1/4 cups masa harina
1 3/4 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 3/4 cups neutral-tasting oil
6 1/2 cups broth
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup vegetable shortening
Tamale Ingredients :
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped roasted tomatillos , chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 (8-ounce) tomato sauce
24 dried corn husks, soaked in hot water until softened
2 lbs Masa dough
1 (8-ounce) Misha’s Joi cheese
Tomatillo salsa and lime wedges, to serve
- Soak the dried corn husks in a large bowl filled with hot water. ( Soak them for at least one hour )
- In a very large mixing bowl or pot, add masa harina, salt and baking powder and oil. Combine and mix with your hands.
- Gradually add the warm broth to the flour mixture. Mix in the broth using your hands to incorporate the broth into the flour to make a firm dough.
- In a mixer, cream the butter and shortening until fluffy, then add the dough little by little into the mixer until well mixed.
- Continue mixing the masa at a low speed for about 6 minutes, scrape the sides of the mixing bowl during mixing.
- In a medium bowl, place black beans, tomatillos, cumin, and garlic powder, chili powder and tomato sauce. Using a potato masher, mash mixture until combined but not smooth.Add salt and pepper to taste
- Remove a corn husk from hot water, pat dry, and lay on a work surface. Spread ¼ cup Masa on the widest end of the husk. Place 1 spoonful of cheese in the center of masa, and top with 1 tablespoon of bean mixture.
- Fold sides of husk over filling, letting masa peel from husk; press masa together, covering filling. Fold over the left side of the corn husk tightly around the other side, and fold the narrow end of the corn husk up.Fold narrow end of husk over open seam, and secure with a strip of softened corn husk. Repeat with remaining husks, remaining Masa, remaining cheese, and remaining bean mixture.