GNOCCHI AL POMODORO “SARI”
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 5-6 servings
- 3 TBSP OLIVE OIL
- 1 SMALL YELLOW ONION, DICED
- 3 LARGE CLOVES OF GARLIC, MINCED
- CRUSHED RED PEPPER FLAKES, TO TASTE
- 1 (28 OZ) CAN POMÌ CRUSHED TOMATOES
- SEA SALT AND FRESHLY CRACKED PEPPER, TO TASTE
- PINCH OF SUGAR
- 1 SMALL BUNCH FRESH BASIL CHOPPED
- 12 OZ GNOCCHI, COOKED IN SALTED WATER, PER INSTRUCTIONS
Heat the olive oil in a small Dutch oven over medium heat.
Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
Add the minced garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
Add the can of tomatoes to the Dutch oven. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes, or when the sauce has thickened.
Remove from the heat. Taste and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste along with a pinch of sugar.
Cook the gnocchi in salted boiling water per package instructions.
Drain the gnocchi, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
Return the Dutch oven to the stove over medium-high heat.
Add the drained gnocchi to the sauce and gently toss to coat evenly along with reserved pasta water, if needed, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes.
Pour into the serving bowl and top with fresh basil and dollops of Sari cheese. Serve immediately with fresh crusty bread on the side.